DEPARTING MILITARY Logistics
We recruit transitioning military and veterans with logistics experience to work aboard our fleet of oilers, ammunition ships, joint high-speed vessels, fast combat prepositioning ships and more. Across all departments, over 40% of our afloat crew is made up of former military because their skill sets and experience align with needs of MSC. Our civil service careers offer:
- Federal job security and benefits
- Career advancement opportunities with training
- Transferrable skill-sets
- Paid leave and overtime pay
- Camaraderie and continued service to country
If you want to apply your logistics experience to a secure, civilian career that offers opportunity for growth, review the chart below to see which positions align with your military experience. Because our hiring needs change frequently we encourage you to Start the Process so that you’re ready to apply once a position opens.
|Experience||Possible MSC Jobs||Possible USCG Endorsement*|
|Storekeeper (SK)||Supply Officer
Jr. Supply Officer
Ordinary Seaman, Wiper and Steward Department (FH).
There are a few things to address before you apply.
- Complete an MSC information request form. This will allow us to better assist you and keep you informed throughout the application process.
- Request your History of Assignments and records of any maritime related courses you’ve completed. This will help you communicate your skills and experience as you move through the application process.
- Obtain a TWIC card. A TWIC card allows you to have unrestricted access to foreign ports should you be hired with MSC. It is required when applying for your Merchant Mariner Credential as well. For TWIC office locations and details visit the following link. TWIC
- Obtain your Merchant Mariner Credential. Your MMC application will be submitted to the U.S. Coast Guard. They will review your maritime experience and endorse you for certain levels of responsibility. The MMC application can be found here.
- The MMC requires us to successfully pass a physical and drug screening. We recommend this be done on base at a reduced cost. Have your doctor make a statement that you do not have any communicable diseases.
- Obtain a U.S. Tourist Passport. This is different than your military issued passport.
Once you have your TWIC, MMC, and tourist passport, you’re ready to continue through the application process.
Relevant Military Sea Service
Military time/sea service can be used to qualify for advanced merchant mariner’s ratings. Use this chart to assess the merchant mariner’s equivalent to your military service.
How do I apply for a postion with MSC?
- The first step will be to create a profile by completing the Information Request Form (IRF), even if you have completed one online or at a job fair in the past. Click here to Start the Process.
- After completing the IRF a confirmation email will be sent to you to verify/confirm your email address. MSC will use the email address associated with your profile/account to communicate with you about upcoming opportunities and other important updates.
- After clicking on the link to confirm the profile creation you will be prompted to complete the remainder of the extended profile. Note: This can be done when there is an open position you are interested in applying for, or sooner if you want to ensure you are ready when your desired position opens.
- You will need to complete all of the extended profile before an application can be submitted. You will be asked about your education, prior relevant work experience, prior federal and/or military service, and other background information. After entering this information you will not need to re-enter it in the future. These answers will be used to complete an MSC employment application and your resume so please be as detailed as possible.
- You will then be prompted to enter information about your credentials such as your Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), your TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential) card, and your U.S. Passport. An application will not be created, and cannot be submitted, until this information has been entered.
- Once you have completed your extended profile you will be given the opportunity to view open positions, enter your responses to the Evaluation Criteria statements (KSAs) relevant to the position you wish to apply for, submit an electronic application for employment and print a copy for your reference. Note: The information shared in this section is important as it will be used to evaluate your skills and experience.
- The secure website will save this information in your profile and will allow you to update as necessary when you are ready to submit an application for employment with MSC.
- Each time your profile is updated you will be sent a confirmation email for your records.
- After you have successfully submitted an electronic application you will be sent a confirmation email letting you know that MSC has received your application for consideration. You will be able to track the status of your application through your profile. If your application is missing any documentation/information you will be notified via email.