MSC Conditions of Employment
Military Sealift Command (MSC) is always looking for individuals who may be interested in the employment opportunities we offer. We hire for federal civil service seagoing positions working aboard ships that transport equipment and supplies to United States military forces worldwide.
If you desire steady employment, great pay, federal benefits and the opportunity to see the world while serving your country, consider a career with MSC. To be considered, all applicants must meet the following conditions of employment:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a United States citizen holding a valid U.S. Passport with at least seven months remaining prior to expiration
- Hold and maintain a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten months remaining prior to expiration
- Hold and maintain a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC), issued by the United States Coast Guard to mariners sailing aboard all U.S. Flagged Vessels with at least ten months remaining before expiration
- Be capable of passing an MSC-administered physical examination. Due to often strenuous shipboard duties and extended periods at sea, all applicants must meet MSC medical requirements. Any applicants applying for positions that would require them to work aloft will be required to meet specific weight restrictions in order to be considered for employment as a civil service mariner. (Human Resources Advisory 2013 – 3 Physical Requirements for Personnel in Connection with the use FPAS)
- Be drug free and submit to urinalysis in accordance with the Department of Health and Human Services guidelines. See Medical Standards.
- Be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance. See E-Verify.
- Be capable of speaking, understanding, reading and writing the English language. Some positions are required to pass an English Language Competency test.
You may not be hired if you fail to report:
- Previous security clearance issues (intents to deny or the revocation of security clearances)
- Debts / Financial Considerations
- Previous Felony convictions where actual time was served in jail for more than one year.
Any questions relative to these issues should be directed to the CIVMAR Support Center at (866) 562-7672.