MSC Platforms and Ship Inventory
Military Sealift Command operates approximately 51 non-combatant, civilian-crewed ships that replenish U.S. Navy ships, conduct specialized missions, strategically preposition combat cargo at sea around the world and move military cargo and supplies used by deployed U.S. forces and coalition partners. Our CIVMARs serve aboard the following classes of MSC ships:
- Expeditionary Fast Transport Vessels (T-EPF)
Provide rapid transport of military equipment and personnel in theater.
- Hospital Ships (T-AH)
Provide an afloat, mobile, acute surgical medical facilities when called upon to the U.S. military, and hospital services to support U.S. disaster relief and humanitarian operations worldwide.
- Dry Cargo/Ammunition Ships (T-AKE)
Multi-product ships deliver ammunition, food, mail, dry provisions, limited quantities of fuel, repair parts, and expendable supplies to ships at sea.
- Underway Replenishment Oilers (T-AO)
Provide underway replenishment of fuel to Navy combat ships and jet fuel for aircraft aboard carriers at sea.
- Cable Laying/Repair (T-ARC)
Transports, deploys, retrieves and repairs undersea cables.
- Rescue/Salvage Ships (T-ARS)
Assist in rescue and salvage missions.
- Submarine Tender (T-AS) – Provide repair services to submarines. Commanded by a Navy captain with a combined civil service mariner/uniformed Navy crew.
- Fleet Ocean Tugs (T-ATF)
Provide towing services and operate as platforms for Navy divers in the recovery of downed aircraft and ships.
- Command Ship (LCC)
U.S. 6th Fleet flagship, with advanced C4I suites. Commanded by a Navy captain with a combined civil service mariner/uniformed Navy crew.
- Afloat Forward Staging Base (AFSB)
Supports mine countermeasures, coastal support ships, and aircraft operations.
- Expeditionary Mobile Base (T-ESB)
AFSB-variant of the mobile landing platform. Provides dedicated support for mine countermeasures and special warfare missions.
- Fast Combat Support Vessels (T-AOE)
Deliver petroleum products, ammunition, food and other cargo to other ships at sea. MSC’s largest combat logistics ships.
- Missile Range Instrumentation Ships (T-AGM)
Monitors missile launches and collects data.