MSC Now Hiring


We recruit transitioning military and veterans with logistics experience to work aboard our fleet of oilers, ammunition ships, joint high-speed vessels, fast combat prepositioning ships and more. Across all departments, over 40% of our afloat crew is made up of former military because their skill sets and experience align with needs of MSC. Our civil service careers offer:

  • Federal job security and benefits
  • Career advancement opportunities with training
  • Transferrable skill-sets
  • Paid leave and overtime pay
  • Camaraderie and continued service to country

If you want to apply your logistics experience to a secure, civilian career that offers opportunity for growth, review the chart below to see which positions align with your military experience. Because our hiring needs change frequently we encourage you to Start the Process so that you’re ready to apply once a position opens.

Experience Possible MSC Jobs Possible USCG Endorsement*
Storekeeper (SK) Supply Officer
Jr. Supply Officer
Yeoman Storekeeper
Assistant Storekeeper
Entry Level
Ordinary Seaman, Wiper and Steward Department (FH).

Helpful Info

There are a few things to address before you apply.

  1. Complete an MSC information request form. This will begin your pre-application profile creation process and allow us to better assist you and keep you informed.
  2. Request your History of Assignments and records of any maritime related courses you’ve completed. This will help you communicate your skills and experience as you move through the application process.
  3. Obtain your Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC). The MMC application can be found here. Your MMC application will be submitted to the U.S. Coast Guard to review your maritime experience and endorse you for certain levels of responsibility. Be aware that in order to apply for your MMC, you must first obtain a Transportation Worker’s Identification Credential (TWIC). A TWIC card allows you to have unrestricted access to foreign ports should you be hired with MSC. TWIC office locations can he found here.
  4. You need to successfully pass a physical and drug screening. We recommend this be done on base at a reduced cost. Have your doctor make a statement that you do not have any communicable diseases.
  5. Obtain a U.S. Tourist Passport. This is different than your military issued passport.

Once you have your MMC, and valid U.S. Tourist Passport, you’re ready to continue through the application process.

Relevant Military Sea Service 

Military time/sea service can be used to qualify for advanced merchant mariner’s ratings. Use this chart to assess the merchant mariner’s equivalent to your military service.


How do I apply for a postion with MSC?

  1. The first step will be to create a profile by completing the Information Request Form (IRF), even if you have completed one online or at a job fair in the past. Click here to Start the Process.
  2. After completing the IRF a confirmation email will be sent to you to verify/confirm your email address. MSC will use the email address associated with your profile/account to communicate with you about upcoming opportunities and other important updates.
  3. After clicking on the link to confirm the profile creation you will be prompted to complete the remainder of the extended profile. Note: This can be done when there is an open position you are interested in applying for, or sooner if you want to ensure you are ready when your desired position opens.
  4. You will need to complete all of the extended profile before an application can be submitted. You will be asked about your education, prior relevant work experience, prior federal and/or military service, and other background information. After entering this information you will not need to re-enter it in the future. These answers will be used to complete an MSC employment application and your resume so please be as detailed as possible.
  5. You will then be prompted to enter information about your credentials such as your Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC) and your U.S. Passport. An application will not be created, and cannot be submitted, until this information has been entered.
  6. Once you have completed your extended profile you will be given the opportunity to view open positions, enter your responses to the Evaluation Criteria statements (KSAs) relevant to the position you wish to apply for, submit an electronic application for employment and print a copy for your reference. Note: The information shared in this section is important as it will be used to evaluate your skills and experience.
  7. The secure website will save this information in your profile and will allow you to update as necessary when you are ready to submit an application for employment with MSC.
  8. Each time your profile is updated you will be sent a confirmation email for your records.
  9. After you have successfully submitted an electronic application you will be sent a confirmation email letting you know that MSC has received your application for consideration. You will be able to track the status of your application through your profile. If your application is missing any documentation/information you will be notified via email.

Back to Top

Is Military Sealift Command part of the Navy?

Yes, but because many MSC ships are operated by civil service mariners, the CIVMARs serving aboard our ships are not subject to the same military rules and regulations as are Navy personnel.

Back to Top

I am former Navy, what positions would I qualify for?

For more information on how your skills can transfer to a position with MSC, please visit the following web sites and or by clicking here.

Back to Top

What does MSC pay?

Your job and your rating determine your base pay, and your overall wages depend on overtime and your ship assignment, etc. The pay rate for orientation and mandatory training will be paid at your permanent rate for the position you accept, and will remain the same or increase depending on the class of ship to which you are assigned. A link to MSC’s current pay scales can be found here.

Back to Top

What determines overtime pay?

Any work performed in excess of eight hours per day, Monday through Friday, counts as overtime, along with any work performed on Saturdays, Sundays or national holidays.

Back to Top

How are the pay scales established?

Base salary ranges per position are set by federal guidelines. A CIVMAR’s actual pay is determined by his or her rating. Remember, a CIVMAR’s total income is greatly affected by how much overtime pay he or she earns, and in many cases although it is not guaranteed, and depending on the ship’s operational schedule, the command provides opportunities for overtime.

Back to Top

How often will I get paid?

CIVMARs are paid every two weeks (bi-weekly) by direct deposit. All CIVMARs are required to use direct deposit. If you need cash while onboard ship, you can take a draw against your pay once every two weeks if you so desire.

Back to Top

What is your ship assignment rotation?

A typical ship assignment rotation is four months (120 days) and then the CIVMAR is eligible for leave.

Back to Top

Does MSC offer a federal retirement package?

Yes, the Federal Employment Retirement System and a Thrift Savings Plan, similar to a 401K program, are available to all civil service mariners. MSC’s retirement plans will be explained in detail during New Employee Orientation (NEO).

Back to Top

What is a TWIC card and how do I get one?

A TWIC (Transportation Worker’s Identification Credential) is a security document issued by the U.S. Coast Guard. It provides U.S. maritime workers unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities and vessels regulated under the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002. It is a Transportation Security Administration and U.S. Coast Guard initiative and a requirement for obtaining your MMC which is a minimum employment requirement for Military Sealift Command. To obtain a TWIC card, schedule an appointment online and visit one of their 150+ offices nationwide. More about the TWIC process can be found here.

Back to Top

How do I get a Merchant Mariner's Credential (MMC)?

Once your TWIC card is being processed, you’re ready to apply for your MMC. Applications can be submitted either electronically or via mail to one of the Regional Examination Centers of the U.S. Coast Guard. Click here for a list of Coast Guard Regional Examination Center locations. DO NOT send your MMC application to the National Maritime Center, this will slow processing time.

Back to Top

Where can I get a copy of my military records?

A copy of your military records can be requested by visiting

Back to Top

I am a veteran; how do I obtain the required DD-214?

To obtain these documents, visit

Back to Top

When does my tour of duty start onboard ship and for how long?

Your tour of duty starts after you have completed mandatory training. As most new CIVMARs are assigned to East Coast ships, your first four-month tour starts the day you arrive onboard the ship, regardless of where the ship may be located.

Back to Top

Do I have an obligated service requirement when I work for MSC?

No unlike the military, you do not have an obligated service requirement with MSC. You can resign at any time.

Back to Top

I am a veteran; do my Veteran’s Preference points affect my employment opportunities with Military Sealift Command?

Yes, they can. Specifically, it depends on what your veteran’s preference point ranking is. Please refer to the website,, for more details on veteran’s preference.

Back to Top