Able Seaman (M) will work as a watch stander or day worker in the Deck Department. As a watch stander, you will stand wheel, anchor, and gangway watches as directed, maintaining alertness at all times. During a wheel watch, you must maintain a steady course, properly execute all rudder orders and communicate utilizing navigational terms relating to heading and steering. As a day worker, you will perform general maintenance, repair, sanitation and upkeep of material, equipment, and areas in the Deck Department. The incumbent performs maintenance such as chipping, scraping, soundings, priming, painting and/or cleaning of the ship’s hull, decks, superstructure, cargo gear, smoke stack, lifeboats, rescue boats and/or life rafts, and emergency and damage control gear. Responsible for learning the location and use of emergency equipment, lifesaving equipment, damage control equipment, and safety equipment. Able Seaman performs all operations connected with the launching of life saving equipment and makes security inspections of the ships. Also performs other duties within the scope of the position.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date;
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- MMC endorsement(s): Able Seaman (Special, Limited Unlimited) or any unlicensed rating in the deck department.
- STCW certificate endorsed as: Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW).
NOTE: Due to often strenuous shipboard duties and extended periods at sea, all applicants must meet MSC medical requirements. Any applicants applying for positions that would require them to work aloft will be required to meet specific weight restrictions in order to be considered for employment as a civil service mariner. (Human Resources Advisory 2013 – 3 Physical Requirements for Personnel in Connection with the use FPAS.)