The Engine Utilityman (W) assists in the operation and maintenance of all engine room machinery. Performs repairs and maintenance on the potable water, sanitary and drainage systems throughout the ship. Conducts general housekeeping (cleaning and painting) throughout the engineering spaces. Makes rounds on engines and auxiliaries, monitoring temperatures, pressures and other parameters to ensure machinery is operated within safe, standard industry practice. Monitors evaporator operations ensuring necessary temperatures, pressure and water levels are maintained. Ensures quality of evaporator output and feed storage tanks through salinity testing. Ensures correct distribution of evaporator output. Operates boilers by tending fires by controlling fuel air flow, cutting fires in and out, maintaining correct water level, operating soot blowers, controlling feed pump, and repairing minor leaks on the boiler front. The Engine Utilityman (W) is directly responsible to the First Assistant Engineer.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date; AND
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- MMC endorsement(s): Fireman/Oiler and Watertender (FOWT) or Junior Engineer or Engineman or Deck Engineer Mechanic or any unlicensed rating in the engine department.
- STCW certificate endorsed as Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch (RFPEW) valid for steam and motor propulsions.