First Assistant Engineer
Salary: $73,113- $93,590
A $36,134 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 25% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. Annuitants selected for employment as First Assistant Engineer are not eligible for recruitment and retention incentives.
The First Assistant Engineer is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, and preservation of all engine department machinery and equipment. Responsible for the economical use of consumable supplies, stores, and spare parts; the cleanliness and proper condition of all spaces under the jurisdiction of the engine department; and the conduct and efficient performance of engine department personnel. Must be competent and skilled in the use of condition monitoring equipment, including basic interpretation and analysis of the raw test results. Must have a thorough understanding, be well versed and be a proponent in the proper use of MSC’s ABS approved preventive maintenance and machine history program (SAMM) and special programs (e.g. lube oil analysis, fuel oil analysis, condition monitoring including VMS Megger, implementation and administration of MSC lockout/tag out program, water treatment, electrical safety, heat stress, sewage handling, refrigerant handling, and gas free engineering). Incumbent is required to be proficient in the performance of shipboard engineering, fire, and collision drills. Carries out instructions safely and efficiently, and takes the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. Carries out EEO policies and communicates support of these policies to subordinates. Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date; AND
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- USCG license endorsed as: First Assistant Engineer or above (Steam, Gas Turbine, or Motor of unlimited horsepower.)
- STCW certificate endorsed as: First Assistant Engineer.
- Federal EPA Universal refrigerant handling certificate/card reflecting document number.