A $36,986 recruitment incentive may be authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 25% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. Annuitants selected for employment as First Officer are not eligible for recruitment and retention incentives.
The First Officer is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the Deck Department. Incumbent is required to manage and supervise Deck Department resources; be proficient in the performance of handling various types of cargo and/or navigational equipment, methods, and techniques; and serve as the Training Officer, Damage Control Officer, Security and Safety Officer aboard ship. Masters and Department Heads may add to these duties to clarify specific shipboard tasks.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned. Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned. Carries out EEO policies and communicates support of these policies to subordinates.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date; AND
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- MMC endorsement(s): Any Unlicensed Rating in the Deck Department, or Able Seaman (Unlimited).
- USCG license endorsed as: Chief Mate (steam or motor vessels of any gross tons upon oceans) or higher and Radar Observer (Unlimited).
- STCW certificate endorsed as: CAPACITY as – Chief Mate or Master (STCW may not include limitations of validity on vessels operating in the GMDSS system or aboard ARPA or radar-equipped vessels.)
- Must possess a Federal Communications Commission GMDSS radio operator’s license/certificate.