Salary: $25,846- $29,935
The Ordinary Seaman will perform and/or aid other crewmembers in work pertaining to general maintenance, repair, sanitation, and upkeep of material, equipment, and areas that are the responsibility of the Deck Department. General maintenance consists of, but is not limited to: chipping, scaling, scraping, priming, painting, sounding and or cleaning of the ship’s hull, decks, superstructure, cargo gear, smokestack, rescue boats, lifeboats and/or life rafts, emergency and damage control gear. Further, the incumbent will become familiar with general nautical terminology, boxing the compass, navigational running lights, rules of the road, including day shapes, sound signals and all distress signals. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date;
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date
- MMC endorsement(s): Ordinary Seaman, Supply Utilityman or Wiper.
- Ability to perform general maintenance, repair on deck equipment and operate UNREP gear and equipment (winches, cranes, booms, MHE, etc.)
- Knowledge of material handling equipment (MHE) and shipboard safety, including: lifesaving and firefighting equipment, methods, and techniques.
NOTE: Due to often strenuous shipboard duties and extended periods at sea, all applicants must meet MSC medical requirements. Any applicants applying for positions that would require them to work aloft will be required to meet specific weight restrictions in order to be considered for employment as a civil service mariner. (Human Resources Advisory 2013 – 3 Physical Requirements for Personnel in Connection with the use FPAS.)