Second Assistant Engineer
The Second Assistant Engineer is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, upkeep and conditions of the fire room, boilers and auxiliary equipment and machinery, which may include UNREP cargo systems. Aboard Steam vessels is responsible for the condition, maintenance and operation of boilers and appurtenances, testing boiler water chemistry, maintaining test records, calibrating combustion control equipment, operating evaporators, and the maintenance of feed and condensate systems. Aboard Diesel or Gas Turbine vessels is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, and repair of auxiliary boilers and appurtenances, propulsion and auxiliary diesel engines, and auxiliary system machinery and equipment; and for the operation and condition of the fuel oil system, including transfer pumps, strainers, heaters, heating coils, and storage tanks. Carries out duties in accordance with all environmental and pollution instructions and is required to be proficient in the performance of shipboard engineering, fire, and collision drills to carry out instructions safely and efficiently, taking the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. Carries out EEO policies and communicates support of these policies to subordinates. Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date; AND
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- USCG license endorsed as: Second Assistant Engineer or above (Steam, Gas Turbine, or Motor of unlimited horsepower.)
- STCW certificate endorsed as: Second Assistant Engineer or higher.
- Federal EPA Universal refrigerant handling certificate/card reflecting document number.