The Second Officer (Watch) is the Navigation Officer responsible for the navigational operations, reports, equipment, supplies, maintenance and resources of the ship. The 2/O also provides training to all watch personnel on bridge in safe navigational practices and in the proper use of navigational equipment to include deck alarm systems, fixed fire, smoke, flooding systems, security rounds and systems, and gangway watch procedures. Ensures that all standard navigation day’s work is performed by all watches and that operational checklists are maintained. The Second Officer (Cargo) is responsible for the operational readiness of all rig crews, underway replenishment gear, all running and standing gear, and the stowage and condition of the cargo holds on Cargo Vessels. During vertical replenishment (VERTREP), ensures proper methodology of helicopter cargo and personnel transfer is used, that cargo is properly staged and weighed, readied for transfer, color coded and transferred to appropriate destination. In addition the 2/O onboard Ammunition capable vessels is the Retail Ordinance Logistics Management System (ROLMS) Administrator and ensures proper entry for the requisitioning, receiving, and issuing of all conventional type ammunition. On Oilers, the Second Officer will act as Tankerman-PIC (person-in-charge), and be responsible for the loading/discharging of cargo petroleum products. The Second Officer Operations-Officer (OPSO) is the designated position replacing the Military Detachment Officer-in-Charge and is responsible for the scheduling of operational tasking and harbor movements, naval message operational traffic, tactical maneuvering coordination and communication underway, and Helicopter Control Officer (HCO). Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned. Carries out EEO policies and communicates support of these policies to subordinates.
- MMC endorsement(s): Any unlicensed rating in the deck department or Able Seaman (Unlimited).
- USCG license endorsed as: Second Mate of Steam or Motor Vessels of Any Gross Tons Upon Oceans (or higher), and Radar Observer (Unlimited).
- STCW certificate endorsed as: Officer-In-Charge of a navigation watch, Chief Mate or Master. (STCW may not include limitations of validity on vessels operating in the GMDSS system, aboard ARPA or radar-equipped vessels.)
- A Federal Communications Commission GMDSS Radio Operator’s license/certificate.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date;
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.