Third Assistant Engineer
Salary: $59,050- $75,589
Third Assistant Engineer monitors the safe and efficient operation of engineering machinery, equipment and spaces, enters data in logs, and reports special events in the appropriate logs. Performs routine maintenance and repair of engine room machinery and auxiliary equipment; and observes engine/fire room repairs and work being done by shipyard or other shore side facility. Incumbent must have the ability to perform assigned duties, carry out instructions safely and efficiently, and take the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. Manages the cooling water treatment of main propulsion engines and auxiliary generators and any other water-cooled engineering systems. Manages potable water, testing and treatment, storage of bulk lube oil and performs routine testing of lube oils in various engineering systems. Performs machinery overhauls, dismantle machinery and equipment, effect repairs to same by replacing or fabricating components, perform subsequent reassembles, operational testing of controls, safeties, shutdowns, and place equipment in service. Participates as a lifeboat crewmember and a firefighting and emergency response team leader. Ensures that all personnel assigned to watch are aware of their duties during scheduled drills and participates in same; and ensure that an engineering casualty drill is held at least once a day. Reports to Chief and/or First Assistant Engineer. Carries out EEO policies and communicates support of these policies to subordinates. Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date; AND
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- USCG license endorsed as: Third Assistant Engineer or above (Steam, Gas Turbine, or Motor of unlimited horsepower.)
- STCW certificate endorsed as: Third Assistant Engineer or higher.
- Federal EPA Universal refrigerant handling certificate/card reflecting document number.