This position works under the supervision of the Second Officer (Navigator) and Department Head, First Officer. Serves as a Deck Watch Officer and is responsible for the safe navigation of the vessel. Assists the Master and senior deck officers in carrying out their responsibilities. As directed/designated by the Chief Mate, makes timely and frequent inspection of all lifesaving equipment onboard the vessels, including lifeboats, life rafts and associated securing devices, and any other equipment. May be assigned collateral duties of Assistant Damage Control Officer, CBR-D Officer, or Special Services Officer. Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date; AND
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- MMC endorsement(s): Any unlicensed rating in the deck department or Able Seaman (Unlimited).
- USCG license endorsed as: Third Mate of Steam and Motor Vessels of Any Gross Tons Upon Oceans (or higher) and Radar Observer (Unlimited)
- STCW certificate endorsed as: Officer-In-Charge of a navigation watch, Chief Mate, or Master. (STCW may not include limitations of validity on vessels operating in the GMDSS system, or aboard ARPA or radar-equipped vessels.)
- Federal Communication Commission GMDSS Radio Operator’s license/certificate.