Unlicensed Junior Engineer
Salary: $36,683- $40,772
The Unlicensed Junior Engineer works directly under the supervision of the licensed watch engineer that he/she is assigned to, or the First Assistant Engineer if he/she is a day worker. The Unlicensed Junior Engineer is responsible for making rounds of the engine room and outside spaces while on duty recording all plant temperatures, pressures, fuel meters, water meters, and revolution counters as designated by the engine room log book. The Unlicensed Junior Engineer duties will include standing watch on the main propulsion plant, monitoring operating equipment, and making rounds at a frequency designated by the ship’s standing orders. They will stand watches designated by the Chief Engineer. They report all abnormal conditions directly to the engineer on watch. The Unlicensed Junior Engineer will take tank soundings, test water, and operate evaporators to fill various water tanks as required. They will take readings on evaporators; fill out evaporator logs, and acid clean evaporators when needed. They will stand by main throttle while maneuvering and assist the watch engineer with answering bells from the bridge. In addition, they will perform maintenance and repairs as directed by the watch engineer. As a day worker, the Unlicensed Junior Engineer will perform various maintenance and repair work as directed by the First Assistant Engineer or his/her designate. They will assist in the taking-on and off-loading of fresh water, lube oil, fuel oil, and connecting and disconnecting all shore services. The Unlicensed Junior Engineer will know the locations of all firefighting, damage control and rescue equipment in the engineering spaces. They will know the locations and how to operate all emergency remote shut down devices. The Unlicensed Junior Engineer will have a thorough knowledge of all casualty control procedures, main space fire doctrine, and rescue procedures. The Unlicensed Junior Engineer shall know all environmental protection and pollution laws. They will also have a thorough knowledge in the operation of all pollution abatement equipment. During underway replenishment operations the Unlicensed Junior Engineer will perform all duties as assigned.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a valid United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain valid:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining before expiration date; AND
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining before expiration date.
- MMC endorsement(s): Junior Engineer or Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) – Any Unlicensed Rating in the Engine Department (“Any” indicates mariner holds all ten QMED ratings).
- Must possess a valid USCG STCW 95 Certification with Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch (RFPEW).