This position is not currently open.
The Assistant Cook is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Incumbent is directly responsible to assist the Chief Cook in the efficient operation of the galley/kitchen as assigned. Assist in the preparation and production of menu items as directed, using progressive cooking techniques, healthy heart guidelines and approved recipes and instruction. (This includes food presentation in accordance with Armed Forces Recipe Service (AFRS) and local recipes, and following instructions on the NAVSUP 1090). Assists with inventorying galley equipment and utensils, reporting discrepancies to the Chief Cook. Demonstrates proficiency in the use of all equipment located in the galley and food service areas and be proficient in its operation and safe handling. Adhere to all principles of safety, sanitation procedures; including procedures for thawing frozen foods, storing leftovers and unused products, product shelf life; and standards of personal hygiene.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Stewards Department (FH) AND USCG Medical Certificate (w/o limitations/restrictions on Food Handling).
- USCG Medical Certificate (w/o limitations/restrictions on Food Handling).
AND Must have at least six months specialized experience. Specialized experience includes assisting in the preparation and production of menu items and inventorying galley equipment and utensils. Must have related experience in at least one of the following areas:
a. Six Months (6 Months) of cumulative service as a CIVMAR Temporary Assistant Cook or a Supply Utilityman that has MSC Salad Utilityman experience. The six months Temporary Assistant Cook or Supply Utilityman must have been within five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity.
(1) Must have successfully completed Introduction to Food Service course. AND either one of the following:
(a) Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor, OR (b) Current Annual 4 hour Sanitation Course.
b. Previous U.S. military experience in Culinary Pay grade E-3 or above with at least one Culinary tour of not less than 6 months in a Food Production Capacity.
U.S. military service must have recency within the past five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity. Must have successfully completed the following courses:
(1) U.S. Military Service Food Production Course. AND either one of the following: (a) Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor, OR (b) Current Annual 4 Hour Sanitation Course.
c. A current Certification as a Certified Culinarian or higher from the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
d. Graduate of an accredited culinary academy/school and has completed Serv-Safe Principles.
e. Commercial cooking experience of at least six months and has completed Serv-Safe Principles.
(*)Commercial Experience must be on official letter head, form, or evaluation from current or previous employer that describes experience related to these duties. Document must include company name, applicant’s name, and name with signature of company/agency official.