As high school counselors you empower and help students develop ideas for what their future may look like. Some students are bound for four year institutions and are tying to figure out what industry will best align with their skills and interest. Others are not the college or university type and may be looking to acquire technical or vocational skills. Others yet, may not have a clue as to what next steps are, other than an adventure.
Regardless of the students you work with, Military Sealift Command has exciting options for all. We are a unique organization, with an exciting mission. We do not require a service contract, but we do offer an opportunity to serve your country. We have varied job opportunities and well developed career paths for those who want to explore a maritime career and see the world. Our employees earn an outstanding, steady salary.
We truly offer our employees not only the chance to quickly launch into a career, but a lifetime of opportunities to take command of their career. We are a Department of the United States Navy, but we hire civil service mariners who are federal employees. Military Sealift Command (MSC) is one of the largest employers in U.S. Merchant Marine. The maritime industry is the lifeline of our country and the role of a mariner is an exciting and challenging one. One that is essential. Some of these positions require extensive experience and sea time, others do not.
For our entry level positions we will train and guide new hires and help them develop and evolve their careers.
Some of your students may desire a 4-year degree. We have partners at 7 different maritime academies across the country that can help them achieve that dream.
- California State University Maritime
- Great Lakes Maritime Academy
- Maine Maritime Academy
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- SUNY Maritime College
- Texas A&M University Maritime Academy
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Some of your students may attempt to enlist into one of the branches of service, but may not make it. Military Sealift Command can offer them similar camaraderie and the opportunity to serve their country without a service contract.
What do students need to be qualified for this job?
- At least 18 years of age
- A United States citizen with a valid U.S. passport. Obtain a U.S. Tourist Passport.
- Capable of speaking, understanding, reading, and writing the English language. Some positions are required to pass an English Language Competency test.
- Able to obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC). Find TWIC office locations.
- Able to obtain a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) this is basically a driver's license to be at sea issued by the United States Coast Guard. Download the MMC application and submit to the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Capable of passing a MSC-administered physical examination. Due to often strenuous shipboard duties and extended periods at sea, all applicants must meet MSC medical requirements. Any applicants applying for positions that would require them to work aloft will be required to meet specific weight restrictions in order to be considered for employment as a civil service mariner (CIVMAR).
- Drug-free and able to submit to urinalysis in accordance with the Department of Health and Human Services guidelines
- Able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
What can students earn in an entry level position?
Our base salaries are basically salaries when the individual is not at sea. However, when they are assigned to a ship and are underway, any work performed more than 8 hours a day and on holidays is considered overtime. There are also other special pay categories along with the overtime, that will allow the employee to earn a tremendous salary right from the start. This of course in in tandem with the federal benefits associated with full-time employment with MSC.
How do we work together?
If you are interested in learning more, would like to schedule a call or a virtual presentation with a recruiter or request materials, please complete the below form for us. We would love the opportunity to work with students that you think could be a good match for these careers.
Thank you for contacting us.