Military Sealift Command (MSC) is always looking for individuals who may be interested in the employment opportunities we offer. We hire federal civil service mariners (CIVMARs) for seagoing positions working aboard ships that transport equipment and supplies to United States military forces worldwide.
If you desire steady employment, great pay, federal benefits and the opportunity to see the world while serving your country, consider a career with MSC. To be considered, all applicants must meet the following conditions of employment:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a United States citizen with a valid U.S. Tourist Passport with a minimum of seven months remaining prior to expiration. Learn more about the passport here.
- Hold and maintain a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten months remaining prior to expiration. Learn more about the TWIC & CAC here.
- Hold and maintain a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC), issued by the United States Coast Guard to mariners sailing aboard all U.S. Flagged Vessels with a minimum of ten months remaining before expiration. Learn more about the MMC here. When obtaining your medical screening for your MMC application, please use form CG 719K/E.
- Be capable of passing an MSC-administered physical examination. Due to often strenuous shipboard duties and extended periods at sea, all applicants must meet MSC medical requirements. Any applicants applying for positions that would require them to work aloft will be required to meet specific weight restrictions in order to be considered for employment as a CIVMAR. (Human Resources Advisory 2013 - 3 Physical Requirements for - Personnel in Connection with the use of FPAS)
- Be drug free and submit to urinalysis in accordance with the Department of Health and Human Services guidelines. View Medical Standards
- Be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance. View E-Verify
- Be capable of speaking, understanding, reading and writing the English language. Some positions are required to pass an English Language Competency test
- Certain positions are required to be eligible to have access to, handle and be qualified in small arms in accordance with OPNAVINST 3591.1.
You may not be hired if you fail to report:
- Previous security clearance issues (intents to deny or the revocation of security clearances)
- Debts / Financial Considerations
- Previous felony convictions where actual time was served in jail for more than one year
Any questions relative to these issues should be directed to the CIVMAR Support Center (CSC) at 866-JOBS-MSC (562-7672).