Announcement opens continuously from 10/02/2023, with periodic cut-offs.
Average Annual Salary: $101,885
This is the average annual salary not the base pay featured in the job opportunity announcement. All calculations include CIVMAR total take-home pay (including overtime, penalty, etc.).
The Second Cook is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
**MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES: **The Second Cook is responsible for the timely preparation and production of all menu items assigned. Additionally, he/she is responsible for the cleanliness of the galley. Incumbent shall assist the Chief Cook in the efficient operation of the galley and shall prepare all assigned menu items in accordance with progressive cooking techniques and healthy heart guidelines, utilizing the daily production sheet and approved recipes.
Knowledge of requisitioning food provisions. Carefully inspect all ingredients prior to use, ensure that all provisions “broken out” are properly recorded and signed for on the NAVSUP 1282 and that the daily production sheet (NAVSUP 1090) is strictly followed.
Ensure subsistence items, supplies and equipment is maintained in a neat, orderly and sanitary manner; assist in the proper care of perishable leftovers; wrap, label and refrigerate all usable leftovers; and adhere to all sanitation procedures and personal hygiene standards.
Ability to use the galley/kitchen equipment safely and assist in the cleaning and maintenance of the galley areas and associated equipment.
If assigned to T-ARS, ESB and T-EPF the Second Cook duties will encompass working independently preparing meals for certain periods of time.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Stewards Department (FH)
- USCG Medical Certificate (w/o limitations/restrictions on Food Handling).
Must have at least one of the following specialized experience. Specialized experience is defined as possessing the following:
• One year (12 months) of cumulative service as a CIVMAR permanent Assistant Cook or temporary Second Cook. The experience as Assistant Cook or Temporary Second Cook must have been within five years from the closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity.
Must have successfully completed Basic Culinary course; AND one of the following:
• Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor; OR
• Current Annual 4 Hour Sanitation Course.
• Previous U.S. military experience in Culinary (Pay grade E-4 or above) with at least one Culinary tour of not less than 12 months in a Food Production Capacity. U.S. military service must have been within five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity.
AND successful completion of the following courses:
• U.S. Military Service Food Production Course; AND one of the following:
a). Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor; OR
b). Current Annual 4 Hour Sanitation Course.
• Current Certification as a Certified Sous Chef or higher from the American Culinary Federation.
• Graduate of an accredited culinary academy/school and have completed Serv-Safe Principles.
• Commercial cooking experience of at least one year (documented) and has completed Serv-Safe Principles.
Commercial Experience must be on official letter head, form, or evaluation from current or previous employer that describes experience related to these duties. Document must include company name, applicant’s name, and name with signature of company/agency official.