Able Seaman - Mixed Work Schedule
Announcement opens continuously from 10/03/2022, with periodic cut-offs.
The Able Seaman (M) is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-maned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
The Able Seaman (Maintenance) (AB (M)) is a day worker, and as such, works a basic eight (8) hour day, five (5) days per week in the Deck Department aboard ship both at sea and in port. Although the AB(M) is a dayworker, the incumbent may be called out at any time when needed for UNREP or VERTREP operations, mandatory overtime or in emergency situations and shall perform all duties assigned and will be provided compensation in accordance with the CMPI.
In port or at sea, performs duties that pertain to the general maintenance, repair, sanitation, and upkeep of material, equipment, and areas that are the responsibility of the Deck Department. The incumbent performs general maintenance, such as chipping, scraping, soundings, priming, painting and/or cleaning of the ship’s hull, decks, superstructure, cargo gear, smoke stack, lifeboats, rescue boats and/or life rafts, emergency and damage control gear. Performs traditional shipboard marlinespike seamanship. As ship’s rigger, duties include the splicing of wire cable and rope, swaging, as well as splicing synthetic and natural fiber line.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- USCG Medical Certificate w/o limitations.
- MMC endorsed as: Able Seaman Special (or higher) AND STCW Able Seafarer - Deck