Assistant Damage Control Officer
This position is not currently open.
Assistant Damage Control Officers (ADCOs) conduct training based upon MSC and USCG training requirements, ship drills, ship inspections and/or casualty investigations for the MSC civil service marine workforce. ADCOs may be assigned to a MSC training center, field site, or on an Afloat Training Team. Duties include, but are not limited to, conducting training and/or ship drills based upon MSC and USCG training requirements; conducting ship inspections and casualty investigations; developing/revising training courses, lesson plans, student/instructor guides, and other training material; writing instructional, investigation and/or inspection reports with recommendations; providing technical advice on damage control issues; acting as safety observer during field evolutions; and/or maintaining and repairing school facilities and equipment as necessary. ADCOs report to a Damage Control Leader. Candidates selected required to sail 30-45 days on annual basis during high relief request seasons and mission contingencies. When assigned to a ship, ADCOs come under the administrative supervision of the ship’s Master.
Everything in this position description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- USCG license endorsed as: Second Mate (any gross tons upon oceans) or higher; or Second Assistant Engineer (Steam, Motor or gas Turbine vessels of any horse power) or higher
- STCW Certificate that accompanies the USCG License.
- Applications with an Engineer’s license must also possess a Universal EPA Ozone Depleting Substances certificate.
- Applications with a Deck license must also possess a current Radar Observer Unlimited endorsement or certificate and Federal Communications Commission GMDSS Radio Operator’s License/Certificate.
10-Point Veterans can apply online at any time