Assistant Damage Control Officer
This position is not currently open.
Assistant Damage Control Officers (ADCO's) provide training for the MSC mariner workforce and conduct inspection and investigations on behalf of MSC. ADCO's may be assigned to a MSC training center, field site, or on an Afloat Training Team. Duties include, but are not limited to, conducting training and/or ship drills based upon MSC and USCG training requirements; conducting ship inspections and casualty investigations; developing/revising training courses, lesson plans, student/instructor guides, and other training material; writing instructional, SMART visits, COI preps, investigation and/or inspection reports with recommendations; providing technical advice on damage control issues; acting as safety supervisor during field evolutions; and/or maintaining and repairing school facilities and equipment as necessary: ADCO report to a Damage Control Leader: Candidates selected are required to sail 30-45 days on an annual basis as required by MSC. When assigned to a ship, ADCO come under the administrative supervision of the ship's Master.
The ADCO conduct training based upon MSC and USCG training requirements at the Training Centers or aboard MSC ships. The incumbent develop and revise training courses, lesson plans, student/instructor guides. Act as safety supervisor during field exercises, swimming pool evolutions, and small arms firing exercises.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- USCG license endorsed as: Third Officer (any gross tons upon oceans) or higher; or Third Assistant Engineer (Steam, Motor or gas Turbine vessels of any horse power) or higher
- STCW Certificate that accompanies the USCG License.
- Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain a valid:
- Applicants must possess credentials that will allow them to return to seagoing positions, up to either Third Officer or Third Assistant Engineer aboard MSC CIVMAR manned vessels. Therefore, each must have a USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) endorsed as:
• Third Officer (Any Gross Tons Upon Oceans) or higher; or Third Assistant Engineer (Steam, Motor or Gas Turbine vessels of Any Horse Power) or higher.
• Applicants must also possess the respective STCW Certification that should accompany the Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC).
• Any Unlicensed Rating in the Deck Department, Able Seaman (Unlimited), or Any Unlicensed Rating in the Engine Department.
• Applicants with an Engineer's license must also possess a Universal EPA Ozone Depleting Substances certificate.
• Applicants with a Deck license must also possess a current Radar observer endorsement.
• Previous experience as MSC Damage Controlman for a minimum of three (3) years and in-depth professional knowledge in one or more of the areas described in the Major Duties and Responsibilities of the ADCO position.
10-Point Veterans can apply online at any time