Junior Supply Officer
This position is not currently open.
The Junior Supply Officer (JSO)is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
Assists the Supply Officer in the day-to-day management and operation of the Supply Department onboard ships. The JSO is knowledgeable in large scale Combat Logistics Force (CLF) load management Concepts of Operation, (CONOPS) and fleet operating procedures worldwide. The JSO duties where applicable or as assigned, may include oversight of food service, exchange location operations, supervision, training, and evaluation of personnel, planning, coordination, and organization of supply operations on all classes of MSC Government Owned/Government Operated vessels and/or USS vessels. The JSO may be responsible for communicating with all levels of civilian and military management personnel afloat and ashore on a variety of Supply/Logistics and personnel issues.
If assigned to a ship without a Supply Officer (T-ATF, T-ESB, T-AGM, T-ARS, T-AH, T-ARC, T-EPF) or in the absence of the Supply Officer, the JSO assumes the duties of the Department Head. Assists the Supply Officer in ensuring monthly Financial Improvement and Audit Readiness (FIAR) inventories are being conducted using Global Stock Control (GSC) guidance and are submitted to GSC and audit files retained onboard. Where applicable (T-ATF, T-AGM, T-ARS, T-AH, T-ARC, T-EPF), the JSO is responsible and accountable for the proper performance and administration of all Supply Department functions aboard ship. Ensures continuing application of & compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws, regulations and policies.
Where applicable or assigned, oversees, supervises and monitors day to day supply operations. Prepares and submits Mariner Advancement Program (MAP) Evaluations and/or recommendations regarding promotions and assignments of Supply Department personnel to the Supply Officer and/or Master/OIC as required.
Manages the material support operations (where applicable or assigned). He/She also monitors and maintains files, records, correspondence and reports for all types of material; manages ships OPTAR; and is responsible for proper financial management of Government Commercial Purchase Card (GCPC) procurement. Onboard CLF ships assists the Supply Officer with maintaining custody of Cargo (Defense Working Capital Fund (DWCF)) fuel accounts and inventory. Assists the Supply Officer with conducting physical inventory of all Cargo (DWCF) fuel tanks.
The JSO is responsible for the proper use, training and administration of supply automated programs.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements: MMC endorsed as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Stewards Department (FH)
Must have 2 years of cumulative service as a permanent CIVMAR Yeoman Storekeeper and/or Temporary Junior Supply Officer Experience. The two years of Yeoman Storekeeper and/or Temporary Junior Supply Officer experience must have been aboard at least two different ship class types (T-ATF, T-AO, T-AKE, T-AOE, T-AE, T-AH, T-ARC, AS, LCC, T-AGM, T-ARS, T-EPF, ESB or AFSB(I)).
- Documented experience as a US Navy Supply Corps Officer (Chief Warrant Officer (CWO) or above) or Senior Enlisted Logistics Specialist (LS) or Storekeeper (SK) (E7 or above with at least one afloat tour of not less than 18 months). Military Service must have recency within the past five years from closing date of this announcement.
- Degree completion of course work related to International Business and Logistics, Global Supply Chain Management, International Maritime Business, Maritime Administration, International Transportation, Trade and Management, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, or Logistics and Intermodal Transportation.
10-Point Veterans can apply online at any time