First Radio Electronics Technician (IAT)
Announcement opens continuously from 01/10/2019, with periodic cut-offs.
Salary: $63,006 + $31,503 Bonus
The First Radio Electronics Technician (IAT) is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
The First Radio Electronics Technician Information Assurance Technician (IAT) serves as the ships assistant Information Technology (IT) System Administrator under the Chief Radio Electronics Technician (CRET) IAT.
Duties and responsibilities are to assist the lead System Administrator CRET in providing expert technical advice and guidance on critical Command, Control, Communications and Computer (C4) and to solve integration and operational system issues.
Will assist in maintaining the Military Sealift Command (MSC) afloat Computing Environment (CE). Duties encompass performing and or assisting in vulnerability scans, system backups, computer virus scans and implementation of security measures when tasked by the Department of Defense (DoD)/Department of the Navy (DON)/MSC.
Assist in the diagnoses of system failures, isolate sources of problems stemming with hardware, system software, and applications. On systems, provides input in drafting information systems security documentation (i.e. disaster recovery plans).
Assist in the applications of patches released for Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) and all other remediation required as mandated by MSC. Report the IAVM compliance or discrepancies to System Administrator.
Assist in the maintaining of files and records of computer equipment allocated to the ship by location and shipboard personnel assigned responsibility. Review Standard Operating Procedure (SOP’s) for completeness and functionality.
Interact with technical support personnel in the absence of the CRET, briefing CRET, Ship’s Communications Officer (SCO) and/or Commanding Officer at appropriate times.
Assist shipboard personnel with customer assistance and/or training in response to their CE needs and requirements.
Track all trouble calls to the MSC Global Service Desk (GSD). In addition, make necessary corrections to the trouble call log during Service Desk review sessions.
May be tasked by the SCO to perform other duties of a Communications/Operational nature outside of the position assigned. Incumbent is required to attend Electronic Key Management System (EKMS) course and complete MSC EKMS PQS 301, and maintain his or her overall knowledge of EKMS and procedures as a Local Element User.
Must possess a Top Secret clearance.
Ensure continuing application and compliance with EEO laws, regulations and policies.
Everything in this position description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
- Current Security Plus Certificate within last 3 years of announcement from an accredited test facility.
- Must have one of the following
- Must have three 3 years cumulative experience sailing on MSC Vessels as a permanent Second Radio Electronics Technician (RET2) or temporary First Radio Electronics Technician (RET1). Must have experience aboard a AKE, AOE or EPF working or training as the Local Area Network (LAN) assistant. OR
- U.S. Navy trained IT E5 or above with experience as an ISM, working in a CE environment. OR
- Equivalent Government and/or Commercial Communications with at least 2 years’ experience. Experience must be within 10 years recency of announcement.
NOTE: When submitting an application for employment, you must provide a letter from your Facility Security Officer and or Government Security Official to document Top Secret eligibility. You must have Top Secret eligibility within the last 24 months; or current active Secret clearance, or confidential security clearance eligibility, when hired for this position.