First Radio Electronics Technician (IAT)
Announcement opens continuously from 10/01/2021, with periodic cut-offs.
Salary: $66,856 + $33,428 Bonus
**A $33,428 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 25% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. CIVMAR (VEOA) candidates and Annuitants selected for employment as First Radio Electronics Technician (IAT) are not eligible for recruitment incentives. **
The First Radio Electronics Technician (IAT) is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
The First Radio Electronics Technician Information Assurance Technician (IAT) serves as the ships assistant Information Technology (IT) System Administrator under the Chief Radio Electronics Technician (CRET) IAT. Duties and responsibilities are to assist the lead System Administrator CRET in providing expert technical advice and guidance on critical Command, Control, Communications and Computer (C4) and to solve integration and operational system issues.
Will assist in maintaining the Military Sealift Command (MSC) afloat Computing Environment (CE). Duties encompass performing and or assisting in vulnerability scans, system backups, computer virus scans and implementation of security measures when tasked by the Department of Defense (DoD)/Department of the Navy (DON)/MSC.
Assist in the diagnoses of system failures, isolate sources of problems stemming with hardware, system software, and applications. On systems, provides input in drafting information systems security documentation (i.e. disaster recovery plans).
Assist in the applications of patches released for Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) and all other remediation required as mandated by MSC. Report the IAVM compliance or discrepancies to System Administrator.
Assist in the maintaining of files and records of computer equipment allocated to the ship by location and shipboard personnel assigned responsibility. Review Standard Operating Procedure (SOP’s) for completeness and functionality.
Interact with technical support personnel in the absence of the CRET, briefing CRET, Ship’s Communications Officer (SCO) and/or Commanding Officer at appropriate times.
Assist shipboard personnel with customer assistance and/or training in response to their CE needs and requirements.
Track all trouble calls to the MSC Global Service Desk (GSD). In addition, make necessary corrections to the trouble call log during Service Desk review sessions.
May be tasked by the SCO to perform other duties of a Communications/Operational nature outside of the position assigned. Incumbent is required to attend Electronic Key Management System (EKMS) course and complete MSC EKMS PQS 301, and maintain his or her overall knowledge of EKMS and procedures as a Local Element User.
Must possess a Top Secret clearance.
Ensure continuing application and compliance with EEO laws, regulations and policies.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- US Navy E5 or above (Cyber IT rating) with at least two (2) years’ experience in shipboard Communications Center (i.e. Radio Central or ADP). Other branches of the Military/National Guard, experience working in Communications/Cybersecurity Center or Operations Center **(this is not referring to a Combat Information Center (CIC)). ** Experience must be within ten (10) years of announcement. OR
- Must have two (2) years cumulative experience sailing on MSC vessels as a permanent Second Radio Electronics Technician (RET2) or temporary First Radio Electronics Technician (RET1). Must have experience aboard an AKE, AOE or EPF working or training as the Local Area Network (LAN) assistant. Documented by the onboard SCO (IAM). OR
- Equivalent Government and/or Commercial Cyber workforce with at least two (2) years experience. Experience must be within ten (10) years of announcement. AND
- Current Security plus Certificate or Higher, within last three (3) years of announcement from an accredited test facility.
**Note: Security Plus Certification is not required with Merit Promotion package or External application. However, Promotion and/or employment are contingent upon receipt of current Security Plus Certification. Any Security Plus certification from 2016 or earlier will not be accepted.
NOTE: When submitting an application for employment, you must provide a letter from your Facility Security Officer and or Government Security Official to document Top Secret eligibility. You must have Top Secret eligibility within the last 24 months; or current active Secret clearance, or confidential security clearance eligibility, when hired for this position.**