Announcement opens continuously from 10/02/2023, with periodic cut-offs.
Average Annual Salary: $106,604 + $8,973
This is the average annual salary not the base pay featured in the job opportunity announcement. All calculations include CIVMAR total take-home pay (including overtime, penalty, etc.).
$8,973 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 10% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. CIVMAR (VEOA) candidates and Annuitants selected for employment as Chief Cook are not eligible for recruitment incentives.
The Chief Cook is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
**MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES: **
The Chief Cook is under the direct supervision of the Chief Steward/Steward Cook, if assigned.
FOOD PRODUCTION OPERATIONS: The Chief Cook is responsible for overseeing the general operation of the galley; utilizing Healthy Heart guidelines, approved recipes, instructions and progressive cooking techniques in the execution of the daily preparation sheet (NAVSUP 1090); and maintenance of sanitary standards within the Galley.
The Chief Cook shall ensure that the approved menu is strictly adhered to and prepared IAW the approved recipes, unless the Chief Steward authorizes specific changes or substitutions.
The Chief Cook shall inspect all galley equipment daily to ensure safe operation, rigid sanitation and proper maintenance standards are adhered to.
The Chief Cook is responsible for serving line set-up, and will assist in training all serving line and dining areas food service personnel.
The Chief Cook is responsible for learning the location of, and being familiar with the use of, all fire-fighting and damage control equipment in galley areas.
SANITATION AND SAFETY COMPLIANCE: Ensure that every precaution is taken to prevent contamination of food, including proper thawing techniques, and inspection of all food before preparation and serving.
Ensure that all subsistence items, supplies, and equipment in the galley is maintained in a neat and orderly manner IAW NAVSUP P-486 and COMSCINST 4000.2.
PROVISIONS MANAGEMENT: The Chief Cook shall ensure that the “Breakout” of provisions necessary for the production of all meals is correctly inventoried and recorded and that leftovers and unused products are correctly stored and labeled.
The Chief Cook is responsible for requisitioning and preparing all meals and managing provisions once they are delivered to the galley, including ordering and returning unused food items to the bulk storeroom using the Food Item Request/Issue Document NAVSUP 1282.
SUPERVISION: The Chief Cook is responsible for the immediate supervision and job performance of personnel involved in food preparation, production and presentation of meals, to include ensuring that dining areas, salad bar, dessert bar, beverages, and condiments are set prior to the beginning of each meal and ensuring sanitation standards and personal hygiene are maintained at all times and IAW NAVMED P-5010 guidelines.
Supervise all galley personnel in the maintenance and sanitation of galley areas and equipment, including decks, sink and grease traps, ranges, hoods, grills, ovens, serving surfaces, storage areas, deep fat fryer, mixing machines, utensils, dishwashing areas, etc.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Stewards Department (FH)
- USCG Medical Certificate (w/o limitations/restrictions on Food Handling) AND Specialized experience. Specialized experience is defined as possessing the following: • Two years (24 months) of cumulative service as a CIVMAR permanent MSC Cook Baker or temporary MSC Chief Cook. The two years permanent Cook Baker or temporary Chief Cook must have been within the past five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity. AND Successful completion of the MSC Advanced Culinary Course. AND either one of the following: • Current U.S.Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor Course • Annual 4-hour Sanitation course.
• Previous U.S. military experience in Culinary (Pay grade E-6 or above with at least one Culinary tour of not less than 24 months in a Lead Foodservice Production Capacity. The U.S. military service must have been within five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity.
AND successful completion of the following courses:
• U.S. Military Service Food Production Course
AND either one of the following: • Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor Course; OR • Annual 4 Hour Sanitation Course.
OR • A current Certification as a Chef De Cuisine or higher from the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
OR • Graduate of an accredited culinary academy/school and have completed Serv-Safe principles.
OR • Previous merchant marine experience (documented)in culinary with at least 24 months cumulative sailing experience as a Chief Cook and successful completion of: • A culinary Cooking and Baking Course. • Current annual 4 hour sanitation course.
Documented Experience must be on official letter head, form, or evaluation from current or previous employer that describes experience related to these duties. Document must include company name, applicant’s name, and name with signature of company/agency official.