Announcement opens continuously from 10/01/2019, with periodic cut-offs.
The Able Seaman is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-maned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
Able Seaman (M) will work as a watch stander or day worker in the Deck Department. As a watch stander, you will stand wheel, anchor, and gangway watches as directed, maintaining alertness at all times. During a wheel watch, you must maintain a steady course, properly execute all rudder orders and communicate utilizing navigational terms relating to heading and steering. As a day worker, you will perform general maintenance, repair, sanitation and upkeep of material, equipment, and areas in the Deck Department. The incumbent performs maintenance such as chipping, scraping, soundings, priming, painting and/or cleaning of the ship’s hull, decks, superstructure, cargo gear, smoke stack, lifeboats, rescue boats and/or life rafts, and emergency and damage control gear. Responsible for learning the location and use of emergency equipment, lifesaving equipment, damage control equipment, and safety equipment. Able Seaman performs all operations connected with the launching of life saving equipment and makes security inspections of the ships. Also performs other duties within the scope of the position.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Able Seaman Unlimited, or any unlicensed rating in the deck department, and,
- Current STCW Certificate endorsed as: Able Seafarer - Deck and Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW).