This position is not currently open.
The First Officer is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the Deck Department. Incumbent is required to manage and supervise Deck Department resources; be proficient in the performance of handling various types of cargo and/or navigational equipment, methods, and techniques; and serve as the Training Officer, Damage Control Officer, Security and Safety Officer aboard ship. Masters and Department Heads may add to these duties to clarify specific shipboard tasks.
Everything in this position description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Any Unlicensed Rating in the Deck Department, or Able Seaman Unlimited.
- USCG License endorsed as: Chief Mate of Steam and Motor Vessels of Any Gross Tons Upon Oceans (or higher), and Radar Observer Unlimited.
- STCW Certificate endorsed as: CAPACITY as Chief Mate, or Master; STCW may not include limitations of validity on vessels operating in the GMDSS system, or aboard ARPA or radar-equipped vessels.
- A Federal Communications Commission GMDSS Radio Operator’s License/Certificate.
10-Point Veterans can apply online at any time