This position is not currently open.
The Operations Chief is a member of the Deck Department and reports directly to the Navigator/Operations Officer. The Operations Chief assists in gathering, interpreting, and disseminating all operational information necessary to carry out the mission of the ship. The duty of the Operations Chief is to support the Navigator/Operations Officer in coordinating and communicating externally from the ship with the task group operational commanders, customers, and MSC ashore units. Internal to the ship, the Operations Chief assists the Master and Navigator/Operations Officer with the scheduling of operational events; drafting and interpreting naval message traffic; anticipating and forecasting future tasking as well as tactical maneuvering and tactical communications. The responsibilities of the Operations Chief are to ensure the consistently successful execution of ship's schedule and proper operational reporting. The Operations Chief is accountable to maintain situational awareness of all near and long term operational events, always staying ahead of the pace of operations. Additionally and when directed, the Operations Chief is responsible for initiating and communicating the ship's operational status and intentions to all appropriate commanders and customers. The Operations Chief shall be capable of coding, decoding, and interpreting tactical signals associated with Joint, Allied, and Navy Publications. The Operations Chief shall be capable of performing the duties of Helicopter Control Officer (HCO) during helicopter operations. Job requires knowledge and proficiency in navigational techniques and equipment; use and interpretation of charts; plotting positions on charts; fundamentals of ECDIS and GPS; time zone conversions; use of maneuvering boards for tactical maneuvering exercises; as well as the calculation of time/speed/distance.
Everything in this position description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Stewards Department (FH)
At least 10 years military experience (E5 or above) as an Operations Specialist (OS) or Quartermaster (QM).OR
Must have at least one of the following:
- U.S. Navy Active Duty Line Officer (O-3 or above), LDO, or CWO with Surface Warfare Officer (SWO) qualifications and at least 3 years of seagoing experience.
- Sailed as an RET2 or above with a minimum of 3 years Navy seagoing experience (E5 or above) as an Operations Specialist (OS) or Quartermaster (QM).
- Sailed as an RET2 or above with a minimum of 4 months documents experience in the Operations Department onboard MSC ships as Operations Assistant.
10-Point Veterans can apply online at any time