Deck Engineer Machinist
Announcement opens continuously from 10/03/2022, with periodic cut-offs.
Salary: $47,814 - $53,770 + $9,563 BONUS
A $9,563 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 10% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. CIVMAR (VEOA) candidates and Annuitants selected for employment as Deck Engineer Machinist are not eligible for recruitment incentives.
The Deck Engineer Machinist is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, contested or uncontested environments.
The Deck Engineer Machinist is responsible for maintaining, repairing, and operating deck machinery, Underway Replenishment (UNREP) machinery, and material handling equipment. This includes but is not limited to the hydraulic systems, cargo fluid systems (piping and pneumatic systems), internal combustion engines, material handling equipment (fork trucks, pallet jacks, etc.), cargo handling equipment (cranes, booms, winches, etc.), ship’s boats including engines, associated machinery, davits and winches, hull structure (bulkheads, decks, bulwarks, railings), mooring machinery and UNREP machinery.
The Deck Engineer Machinist must also be proficient in the use of machine shop equipment (lathes, milling machines, drill presses, arbor presses, etc.), hand tools, hand held power tools, burning, brazing, and welding procedures (Oxy-Acetylene cutting and brazing systems, carbon arc, stick welding) and welding systems. The incumbent will assist, observe and perform “Quality Assurance” on work done by shipyard or other shore side repair personnel, as directed. The incumbent must be proficient in the performance of fire, boat, and damage control drills, taking initiative to perform emergency drills as required. The Deck Engineer Machinist is directly responsible to the First Assistant Engineer and works under the supervision of the Second Assistant Engineer (Cargo).
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months remaining of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
MMC endorsed as: Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) Deck Engineer OR
- QMED Machinist, OR
- QMED Pumpman/Machinist, OR
- QMED Any Engine Rating (“Any” indicates Mariner holds all five unlicensed Engine ratings). AND At least 6 month’s sea experience that is directly related to a Deck Engineer Machinist (such as military or maritime duties on ships or small boats), OR At least 6 month’s work experience in an engineering field (i.e. welder, machinist, electrician, HVAC, outside machinist, pump mechanic, industrial electronics, industrial diesel engine mechanic, industrial hydraulic mechanic or shipyard pipefitter).