First Assistant Engineer
This position is not currently open.
The First Assistant Engineer is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, and preservation of all engine department machinery and equipment. Responsible for the economical use of consumable supplies, stores, and spare parts; the cleanliness and proper condition of all spaces under the jurisdiction of the engine department; and the conduct and efficient performance of engine department personnel. Must be competent and skilled in the use of condition monitoring equipment, including basic interpretation and analysis of the raw test results. Must have a thorough understanding, be well versed and be a proponent in the proper use of MSC’s ABS approved preventive maintenance and machine history program (SAMM) and special programs (e.g. lube oil analysis, fuel oil analysis, condition monitoring including VMS Megger, implementation and administration of MSC lockout/tag out program, water treatment, electrical safety, heat stress, sewage handling, refrigerant handling, and gas free engineering). Incumbent is required to be proficient in the performance of shipboard engineering, fire, and collision drills. Carries out instructions safely and efficiently, and takes the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. Carries out EEO policies and communicates support of these policies to subordinates.
Everything in this position description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- USCG license endorsed as: First Assistant Engineer or above – Steam, Gas Turbine, or Motor of Unlimited Horsepower.
- USCG certificate endorsed as: First Assistant Engineer.
- Federal EPA Universal refrigerant handling certificate/card reflecting document number.
10-Point Veterans can apply online at any time