Announcement opens continuously from 10/01/2019, with periodic cut-offs.
The Pumpman is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, contested or uncontested environments.
The Pumpman performs all work necessary for the safe and proper operation of the liquid cargo transfer system. This includes but is not limited to: liquid cargo transfer pumps, liquid cargo stripping pumps, liquid cargo coalescers and separators, strainers, filters, associated piping, valves, fittings and deck machinery directly related to the transfer of liquid cargo. The Pumpman is responsible for performing routine required maintenance, repairs, SAMM, and Condition Based Monitoring repairs and maintenance actions. These activities include, but are not limited to: correcting leaks, packing valves, greasing fittings, glands, bearings and reach rods. The incumbent shall be fully capable of overhauling, repairing and rebuilding valves, pumps, reach rods, packing glands, and stuffing tubes. The incumbent is required to be proficient in the performance of shipboard engineering casualty drills, fire drills, collision drills, and performing all duties as assigned. The incumbent must have the ability to perform assigned duties and carry out instructions safely and efficiently. The incumbent must take the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. The Pumpman shall have a complete knowledge of MSC safety policies and practices, specifically including handling of flammable/dangerous liquids and confined space entry procedures, as well as the MSC Lockout/Tag-out program, procedures and policies.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months remaining of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsement(s): Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) Pumpman/Machinist,
QMED Any Engine Rating ("Any" indicates mariner holds all five unlicensed Engine Department ratings),
- STCW Certificate endorsed as: Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch (RFPEW).
- Must hold the endorsement of Tankerman Assistant (DL) or higher and Basic Oil Tanker Cargo Operations on the Merchant Mariner Credential.