Second Assistant Engineer
This position is not currently open.
The Second Assistant Engineer is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, upkeep and conditions of the fire room, boilers and auxiliary equipment and machinery, which may include UNREP cargo systems. Aboard Steam vessels is responsible for the condition, maintenance and operation of boilers and appurtenances, testing boiler water chemistry, maintaining test records, calibrating combustion control equipment, operating evaporators, and the maintenance of feed and condensate systems. Aboard Diesel or Gas Turbine vessels is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, and repair of auxiliary boilers and appurtenances, propulsion and auxiliary diesel engines, and auxiliary system machinery and equipment; and for the operation and condition of the fuel oil system, including transfer pumps, strainers, heaters, heating coils, and storage tanks. Carries out duties in accordance with all environmental and pollution instructions and is required to be proficient in the performance of shipboard engineering, fire, and collision drills to carry out instructions safely and efficiently, taking the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. Carries out EEO policies and communicates support of these policies to subordinates.
Everything in this position description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- USCG license endorsed as: Second Assistant Engineer or above – Steam, Gas Turbine, or Motor of unlimited horsepower.
- USCG certificate endorsed as: Second Assistant Engineer.
- Federal EPA Universal refrigerant handling certificate/card reflecting document number.
10-Point Veterans can apply online at any time