Direct Hiring Authority
Military Sealift Command is actively recruiting for Mechanical, Electrical & Electronics Engineers and has issued a direct hiring authority to fill these positions. Download the Job Opportunity Announcement for position requirements and application submission instructions.
MSC has a number of technical areas in which mechanical engineers are employed. The top three areas are design engineering, port engineering, and maintenance engineering. Mechanical engineers at MSC also perform work as on-site construction representatives, engineering test and inspection, safety, environmental management and energy conservation engineers.
Design Engineers perform ship system and subsystem machinery design, alterations and modifications development for various mechanical and technical issues related to ship design and operation to include the following:
- Ship checking requirements
- Interpreting ship's drawings and equipment technical manuals
- Performing a wide range of technical and engineering studies, economic analyses, and failure investigation
- Performing complex design calculations for new and modified ship systems
Port Engineers perform various ship maintenance and repair support functions including:
- Participating in the development and implementation of ship life cycle plans
- Writing statements of work for industrial assistance type maintenance and repair
- Preparing independent government estimates
- Collaborating with ship's force to identify repair requirements
Maintenance Engineers perform various tasks supporting maintenance management system and data development, including:
- Performing a wide range of technical and engineering studies
- Economic analyses
- Failure investigation for preventive and predictive maintenance
- Collaborating with ship's force to identify maintenance repair requirements
- Supporting shipyard availabilities with analysis and recommendations for preventive and predictive maintenance management in the areas of propulsion, shafting, auxiliary, and HVAC shipboard systems
- Interpreting ship's drawings and equipment technical manuals for preventive and predictive maintenance
To learn more about requirements specific to this position, visit USAJobs. In all cases, to be eligible for a career with MSC, you must be a U.S. citizen and be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.